We can hardly believe the earth has spun 365 times since we opened our Burnaby location of Spacekraft. With a number of shared office spaces already established in downtown Vancouver, we wanted to bring the modern work space, coworking, to the Burnaby (but close enough to transit and central enough that Vancouverites could access it).
In our first year, we’ve learned a lot about our community–such as their love of Slack for internal communication–and we’ve made changes and improvements accordingly.
We created an ambassador program for industry influencers who reflect Spacekraft’s values, and initiated an automated members entry system to make checking in a breeze. Members are taking advantage of our library too!
We’ve realized we can’t do everything ourselves, so we implemented a front desk exchange program to best serve our members and give the community a new opportunity to get involved. We also regularly bring in experts to run programming to help our members continue to learn and excel.
One year after launching:
- All of our offices are full (but you can still get on the waiting list)
- 80% of our desks are full
- We’ve hosted 250+ events
- We’ve grown from one employee to four
- The largest company in our space has 13 employees
This year has also had many notable milestones, such as:
- We hired our first employee in March 2015
- Construction started April 2015 (before our first employee had an office!) and ended August 2015
- Our founding members moved in September 2015 and enjoyed our grand opening, first annual Space Race, and first Creating Genius speaking series
- We reached 50 active members in November 2015
- We filled up all of our private offices in January 2016
- From March to May 2016, members experienced our first Fun Run, our first ping pong tournament, our first Town Hall, and our first time ‘storming Earls’
- Spacekraft hit 100 active members in May 2016
Our goal is to provide more than just a desk, coffee, and super-fast internet, and member feedback strongly suggests we’re doing a good job. Thank you!
We also have a surprise for you. Change is coming–watch our social channels October 21st for more information.
You’ll also hear the news when you join us October 20th at 6 pm for our One Year Anniversary Party. Enjoy music, food and drinks; plus, we’ll be announcing the winner of the 2nd Annual Space Race pitching competition. Register here!